“On the Twelfth Day of Wishing,
I’d like to reach for the stars.”
One of our most poplular classes this past year has been Rapid Fire Hunter’s Star. As many quilters know, this star can be a challenge to make. However, we have discovered a template/ruler that makes construction of this quilt easy – with no Y-seams or half-square triangles!
The Petite size of this template/ruler has four different block size options: 5”, 6”, 7”, and 8”. You can do two-, three-, or four-colour options. The template has excellent basic instructions on how to use it, for both left and right handed quilters.
The Large size of this template/ruler has four different block size options: 7”, 8”, 9”, and 10”. Again, you can do two-, three-, or four-colour options, and excellent instructions are included for left and right handed quilters.
Our store sample was done with 16 different fabrics, using the 8” block of the Petite template/ruler. We have kitted this up in the center size of 64” X 80” and colours of the sample. There are sixteen .5 meter cuts of batik/bali fabrics. Border and binding are not included, but if you would like us to select a matching dark navy/puple batik border for you, we would be happy to do so. You will require 2.5 meters for this, and dependent on the width you make the border, you may be able to cut the binding from this as well.
The Petite template/ruler is $24.99 and is found on our webstore at: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=487&page_id=23&Item_ID=11986
The Large template/ruler is $29.99 and is found on our webstore at: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=487&page_id=23&Item_ID=11985
The kit for the Rapid Fire Hunter’s Star quilt is $127.99 (without a border/binding) and is found on our webstore at: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=487&page_id=23&Item_ID=11988
And if you would also like to take a class on making this quilt and live in the area, we have a new session scheduled for Mondays: February 13, March 12, April 16 and 30. Please feel free to call our store for more information.
I’d love a great marking pencil.”
A couple of years ago the market came out with new mechanical marking pencils. There are many different brands of these pencils, and while some people get hung up on the “brand” name, they are all the same and each works just as well as the other – they just have a different name or colour stamped on the barrel. So we bring in the one that is the best price and must useful. That means at this time we are stocking the Dritz brand, as it comes with THREE colours of leads (instead of just white), which eliminates the need to buy other colours of leads separately.
- Ceramic leads are a sturdy .9 mm, meaning they are stronger and less prone to breakage than .5mm or .7mm.
- It is packaged with 9 extra leads: 3 each of white, pink, and green.
- Leads are specially formulated for fabric and are made from water soluble dyes (however, I would always pretest a coloured lead for washout ability on the fabric being used).
- It has a twist up-and-down eraser that really works – it doesn’t smudge across the fabric like a regular white eraser.
- Replacement leads and erasers are available.
- My favorite marking tool – it makes a precise, fine line to follow. If you live in the area, please feel free to try out the demo pencil.
- Bonus feature: You will be delighted as you watch family members writing the grocery list with the white lead. After a few weeks they won’t be inclined to use it once they figure out groceries won’t enter the house until they try a different pencil. (Or maybe you switch to only having these pencils available; you’ll get more sewing done.)
- Found on our webstore at: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=487&page_id=23&Item_ID=11987
I’d like to pick out my own gifts/fabric/kit for Christmas.”
The most flexible gift of all is the gift certificate.
The purchaser knows you’ll be able to buy what you need or want, in the colour/style wanted, when you want it. There are no concerns about buying something that is already owned or not wanted.
The receiver is given an opportunity to buy their choice of a special item representative of the gift. Many have used them for fabric for a special quilt they would like to make. Some people wait until they find the perfect kit.
Our gift certificates:
- Have no expiry date.
- Come with an envelope, but could be slipped in a card.
- Can be purchased over the phone by credit card and mailed to the recipient. Actual postage cost will be added on to the charge.
- Are available in any amount desired.
- Are excellent for items such as books that are out of stock but can be ordered in. The purchaser could enclose a picture of the item that the gift certificate is intended for.
- Allow the receiver to make smaller purchases, and carry forward the balance for the future. They need not worry about spending an allotted amount at one time.
Might this be the perfect answer to what you want for Christmas?
Might this be the perfect answer to what to buy your quilting buddy?
This marks the end of our 12 Days of Christmas Wishing. Once again, I would like to give you my holiday wish for the next 12 days:
Every stitch not be skipped,
Every needle stays straight,
That the time spent is pleasant,
And not staying up late.
May your presents be sewn,
With a pattern that’s right,
For all those you love,
To keep warm ‘n cozy at night.
Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and Holiday Season,
Linda Goh and All the Staff